Job Title: Elementary Teacher – Grade 2
Reports To: Building Principal
FLSA Status: Exempt
Work Days: 183
Maximize the learning experience of students, in academics, interpersonal skills and activities of daily living by implementing district approved curriculum; documenting teaching and student progress/activities, outcomes; addressing students’ specific needs; providing a safe and optimal learning environment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
– Engages every student every day in quality learning opportunities.
– Creates meaningful learning experiences to address knowledge and skills within the curriculum consistent with school district goals and objectives.
– Provides instruction to students, empowering them to meet their individual academic and career goals.
– Conducts ongoing assessment of student learning and progress, modifying instructional methods to fit individual student’s needs.
– Conducts assessments, testing and diagnostic examinations of students for the purpose of identifying learning issues, and recommending courses of action or corrective procedures to overcome issues and maximize learning.
– Participates in conferences concerning needs of students.
– Assists students and teaching staff in implementing students’ IEP’s and behavior management plans.
– Continues to acquire professional knowledge and learn of current developments in the educational field by attending seminars, workshops or professional meetings, or by conducting research, and by maintaining professional relationships with members of institutions of higher learning and the business community.
– Organizes and maintains a system for accurate and complete record-keeping and providing student information to prospective colleges and employers, as required by district procedures and applicable laws.
– Encourages parental involvement in students’ education and ensures effective communication with students and parents.
– Selects and requisitions appropriate books, aids and other supplies and equipment and maintains inventory records.
– Promotes a classroom environment that is safe and conducive to student learning.
– Ensures that student conduct conforms to the school’s standards and school district policies, and establishes and maintains standards of student behavior needed to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in the classroom and throughout the building.
– Collaborates with other professional staff members, especially within grade or subject level, maintaining a positive working relationship and, when assigned, delivering and supporting co-teaching instruction within the classroom.
– Encourages students to become responsible, contributing members of the community promoting the ideals of democracy.
– Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Principal and other central office administrators as designated by the Superintendent.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
– Illinois Professional Educators License with Early Childhood and/or Elementary endorsement. Endorsement must address the grade level being taught.
– Bachelors from an accredited college or university in education discipline applicable to teaching assignment.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
– Knowledge of instructional principles, theories, testing, methods, etc. as well as proven methods of maximizing the educational experience of students.
– Knowledge of differentiated instruction based upon student learning styles.
– Knowledge of data information systems, data analysis and the formulation of action plans.
– Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws regarding education and students.
– Ability to use computer network system and software applications as needed.
– Ability to organize and coordinate work.
– Ability to communicate effectively with students and parents.
– Ability to engage in self-evaluation with regard to performance and professional growth.
– Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work.