Website Jackie Joyner-Kersee Academy
The Jackie Joyner-Kersee Academy is currently seeking an Elementary Teacher for the 2023-2024 academic school year. The candidate selected will lead the 3rd grade classroom and be responsible for teaching all subjects. All classrooms have a ratio of 9:1 (maximum 18 students: 2 adults).
At the Jackie Joyner-Kersee Academy, staff and administration are committed to building something extraordinary. We are in search of the most talented, innovative, passionate, and committed educators we can find. Our goal is to find teachers who are committed to closing the achievement gap by making the Jackie Joyner-Kersee Academy a dynamic learning environment where every child is genuinely embraced and uplifted. The candidate chosen will collaborate with a team of teachers, the Academy Principal and Office Manager as well as parents/families to ensure our students receive the best education we can provide.
The following duties are representative for this position. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Teach classes as assigned, following prescribed scope and sequence as scheduled by the Administrator.
- Teach Jackie Joyner-Kersee Winning In Life principles daily and model them to students
- Keep proper discipline in the classroom/ school premises providing an excellent learning environment.
- Maintain a clean, well-organized classroom.
- Plan broadly using semester and quarterly plans and objectives, and more using a Lesson Plan Book.
- Plan a program of study that, as much as possible, meets the individual needs, interests, and abilities of the students, challenging each to do his/her best work.
- Utilize valid teaching techniques to achieve curriculum goals within the framework of the school’s philosophy.
- Utilize a variety of instructional aids, methods, and materials that will provide creative teaching to reach the whole child’s spiritual, mental, physical, social, and emotional needs.
- Assess the learning of students on a regular basis and provide progress reports as required.
- Maintain regular and accurate attendance and grade records to meet the demands for a comprehensive knowledge of each student’s progress.
- Keep students, parents, and administration adequately informed of progress or deficiencies and give sufficient notice of failure.
- Develop and maintain rapport with students, parents, and staff by treating others with friendliness, dignity, and consideration.
- Seek the counsel of the principal, foundation leadership, colleagues, and parents while maintaining a teachable attitude.
- Attend and participate in Academy in-services, committee, facility and parent meetings.
- Know the procedures for dealing with emergency issues.
- Be able to demonstrate lesson concepts using whiteboards, media, and hands-on materials.
- Take all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, staff, and JJK equipment, and facilities.
- Supervise the Teachers Assistant providing direction on a day to day basis
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree required
- Illinois Professional Educator License with Elementary Self-Contained preferred
- Experience teaching K-4th grade preferred
- 3 years experience working with youth in an education manner such as tutoring, teaching, etc. required.
COMPENSATION AND HIRING
The Jackie Joyner-Kersee Academy is committed to attracting and retaining top talent. The salary for this position is competitive, starting at $35,000 and is commensurate with the candidate’s education and work experience. The Jackie Joyner-Kersee Academy also understands the importance of health and wellness offering a competitive benefit package.
Jackie Joyner-Kersee Academy is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce, as it brings a variety of perspectives and ideas contributing to our enthusiastic culture of learning.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. For more information on the hiring process please contact the HR Director Tara Rea email@example.com.
Job Type: Full-time 10 months (August to June)
Benefits: Full Health Insurance for Individual (Half for Family), Paid Time Off, Professional Development, Retirement Matching fund up to 3%, Cell phone Stipend, Dental and Vision Benefits.
Schedule: Monday through Friday (7:30 am to 4:30 pm) 1 hour Lunch Break
*Teachers are required to stay for meetings & to assist with special events (these could be scheduled on weekends or in the evening outside of regular hours).
To apply for this job please visit jjkfoundation.org.